I’m always collecting data. I can’t help it, it’s just what I do. Here’s some data I collected from a meeting I recently attended:
- Percentage of team members who are male: 20%
- Percentage of women who completed all tasks assigned since previous meeting: 100%
- Percentage of men who completed all tasks assigned since previous meeting: 0%
- Percentage of women who collaborated as expected within stated team procedures, by meeting with committee members and seeking input: 100%
- Percentage of men who made unilateral decisions and did not organize or convene the committees they chair: 100%
As I observe myself at the meetings for this team, I am increasingly irritated. I believe I must appear ornery and contrarian. The fact of the matter is that I have more expertise (on certain matters) than both of the men who are acting unilaterally, and I struggle between being a ‘good girl,’ behaving, keeping my mouth shut,… and calling out the crap when I see it.
I understand that my ego is wrapped up in this. Everybody’s ego is wrapped up in everything. And yet, what’s best for the organization? How about we stick to the procedures we all agreed upon and assign tasks to those best suited for them?
But that requires the men in this group to cede some of their power, and they seem quite resistant to doing that.